On Sunday, June 18, 2023, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “Choosing to Embrace the Cross” from our sermon series “Unpacking the Gospel”. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1.Read out loud John 4:10 and John 7:37-38. What are some ways that Christ, the Living Water, has quenched the thirst of your soul? Share, if applicable. Then take a moment to praise and thank Him.
2. If you have never made the choice to trust in Jesus as your personal Rescuer, what is holding you back? Put it into words. Perhaps it is time for today to become that day!
3. What are some examples of “confusing ‘Christianese’ lingo” that are often heard when communicating how an individual is to personally embrace the good news of the gospel? What is the clear and prominent biblical term for our response? Explain more of what that term means and doesn’t mean.
4. Bruce spoke of a particular function, a ministry, a spiritual partnership, that Jesus has called each and every one of his followers to practice. What is it (see 2 Corinthians 5:18-20) and what does it mean to live it out in our everyday life?
5. People frequently can wonder: Who am I? and What difference can I make? Yet Jesus has appointed His followers to this highly regarded role by direct appointment. Why is it we often overlook this calling?
6. As an Ambassador of Jesus Christ, how would you respond to someone who says, “I believe there are many ways to God, Jesus is just one of them?
7. Bruce said part of our calling is to view people around us as God sees them: living in darkness, without hope in the world, in the process of perishing. Why is it that we often fail to have that perspective?
8. From the ‘Connection Points’ handout (in the section entitled, Questions to gauge where someone is spiritually), pick out two questions that you plan to utilize with someone this week.
9. Pray for at least one person by name that God could use you to help bring them “one step closer to Christ” this next week.