On Sunday, June 18, 2023, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “God’s Work at the Cross” from our sermon series“Unpacking the Gospel”. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. What has stood out to you in the first two messages of this series?
2. If someone asked you— Why was it necessary for Jesus to come to earth as a man?
— what would you say?
3. Spurgeon called 2 Corinthians 5:21 ‘the Heart of the Gospel.’ Why did he say that?
Bruce noted that 2 Corinthians 5:21 has been described as ‘the Great Exchange.’ What makes it so? Elaborate.
4. What are three key New Testament passages that underscore how Jesus is the ONLY solution to our spiritual dilemma?
5. Bruce referred to a hymn from 1920, “How Could Jesus Love Me So?”
The verses are like this:
1 How could Jesus love me so, 2 From the world of glory bright,
While in sin I wandered? Jesus came to save me;
Careless, heedless to His call, In His power by His might
While His grace I squandered; Life eternal gave me;
Wonderful it is to know, Wonderful it is to know,
That my Savior loved me so. That my Savior loved me so.
3 I’m unworthy of the grace Refrain:
He bestows each day, How could Jesus love me so?
Of His tender love and care This is more than I can know;
All along my way; I was lost in sin and woe,
Wonderful it is to know, How could Jesus love me so?
That my Savior loved me so. How could Jesus love me so?
Read the lyrics out loud and then spend some time giving Jesus praise from the heart.