On Sunday, July 11, 2021, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “Born to Grow!” for our sermon series “Be Diligent to Grow”. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. Has there been an extended period in your spiritual history where there was little to no spiritual growth? If so, share some about that period and why you may have experienced little growth.
2. It was stated in the message that spiritual growth is NOT automatic; that growth will not occur apart from our diligent participation in the process. Is that concept new to you? Explain. What would your response be if someone objected by saying, “Doesn’t God cause us to grow?” What does Peter tell us in these verses?
3. How does the concept of wind surfing illustrate both what God provides for us and the role we play in the process?
4. In verses 5-7 Peter mentions seven qualities that we are to supplement to our faith in Christ. List the seven, then highlight one as a prayer target for God to work on in your life. If you are huddling with a small group, share which quality you have selected.
5. Bruce cited Stanley Baldwin who gave several illustrations from Scripture of brotherly affection or kindness. Reflecting on your life, is there an instance of brotherly affection or kindness which someone extended to you that was particularly encouraging? Elaborate.
6. Bruce listed four practical benefits pointed out by Peter that come to us by actively growing in our spiritual life:
–Effective and fruitful (rather than ineffective and unfruitful) – vs. 8
–Spiritually insightful (rather than severely nearsighted) – vs. 9
–Spiritual stability (rather than instability) – vs. 10
–Special future blessing – vs. 11
Of those four, which one is new to you or most exciting to you? Explain.
7. In conclusion by way of application, Bruce mentioned 3 principles and the 5 follows of Wildwood. They are listed below. Which is the top area that you believe the Holy Spirit is encouraging you to focus on this next few weeks?
–Regular Obedience to Scripture
–Everyday Reliance on the Holy Spirit
–A priority focus on honoring the Savior
Follow Him into the Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
Follow Him into Worship ( Colossians 3:16-17)
Follow Him into Community (Hebrews 10:19-24)
Follow Him into Ministry (1 Peter 4:10)
Follow Him into Mission (Matthew 28:19-20)