On Sunday, November 12, 2023, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is Part 5 from our sermon series “The Power of Love”. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
- Bruce stated from 13:6 that love is in the construction business, it is a ‘people builder. What are some ways people have said to you, I believe in you, I see ______ as your strength? What did that mean to you? Who are some to which you could be loving people builder?
- Reflect on and discuss some about the definition of love that Bruce shared early in the series: Love is the commitment of my will to your needs and best interest regardless of the cost.
- Bruce pointed out that Jesus said (John 13:34-35) that Love is the greatest hallmark of our relationship with Jesus. Why is it that people often fall short of displaying that hallmark consistently?
- Peruse through the list of the attributes of love (verb forms) in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. Which attribute would you say you most need to develop in your home? In your closest relationship?
- “Love does not rejoice at wrongdoing” (13:6), it does not delight in evil. What are some ways people can fall into that pattern of behavior?
- Bruce said that Love will not tolerate ‘hearsay’ or ‘heresy.’ How should we respond when faced with either situation?
- Bruce shared how he has been reading the book by Glenn Stanton entitled, Loving My (LGBT) Neighbor: Being Friends in Grace and Truth. Should we actually befriend folks who identify as LGBT? Are we limited as to who we are to love? [see what Jesus says in Matthew 5:44]
- As the song says, ‘Your love never fails, never gives up, never runs out on me. On and on and on it goes, it overwhelms and satisfies my soul [One Thing Remains]. Take some time in worship to thank God for his overwhelming love for you.