On Sunday, October 29, 2023, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is Part 3 from our sermon series “The Power of Love”. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
- Our culture is often obviously confused about the nature of love. List some reasons as to why that is.
- Bruce said, “Envy is the practice of focusing on another’s blessings instead of our own.” Why do we struggle with that so much?
- Bruce also said that “envy leads to discontentment and misery,” and that “envy chokes the life energy out of relationships.” Brainstorm some real-life illustrations of how you’ve experienced that yourself or seen it happen with others.
- Talk some about how you’ve seen social media become infested with “humble brags.”
- We’ve all had times when we’ve been guilty of being a “boaster.” What situations tend to make you more prone to boasting?
- Philippians 2:3-4, Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count [calculate or regard] others as more significant than yourselves. What are some practical ways we can grow in regarding others as more significant than ourselves?
- 1 Corinthians 1:31 says, Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord. Take some time in prayer to ‘boast in the Lord.’