On Sunday, July 24, 2022, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “Abilities/Personality – Part 4” from our sermon series “Divinely Designed to Serve”. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. Share about an acquired ability (a skill) that you have been able to cultivate. How did it happen?
2. Share also about an ability (either a natural ability or an acquired ability) that you have seen God use to serve and encourage others.
3. In Ephesians 2:10 Bruce pointed out that when Paul discusses “the good works that God prepared for us beforehand,” he goes on to say, “that we should walk in them.” The verb “walk” is in the subjunctive mood (yes, that’s technical language talk).
It means it is not guaranteed that we will live them out. Why do you think Paul constructed the verse that way? What are some reasons why we may NOT “walk in them?”
4. If God is truly sovereign, it only makes sense that the abilities we received when formed in our mother’s womb would be indicators of His will for us. Exodus 36 talks about individuals in whom the LORD has put skill. Why is it that people often cave to a self-perception that I have no ability to serve others?
5. Take advantage of the Personality Contrasts sheet you can find at wildwoodchurch.org/serve to gain some fresh concrete ideas of your personality. Is it easy or hard to realize God can and will use your personality when it comes to serving others? Elaborate.
6. Share a time when someone with a complementary personality teamed up with you to accomplish a ministry task.
7. Wrestle some with the two Key Questions Bruce mentioned: 1) Am I currently serving the Lord and others? 2) How can I serve and invest in others?
8. Spend some time brainstorming about people you know to whom you can give affirmation regarding how you’ve seen God use them in ministering to others.