On Sunday, October 3, 2021, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “The Inevitability of Judgment” from our sermon series “Be Aware!”. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. Does Peter’s extremely direct and harsh assessment (i.e., ‘like unreasoning animals’, ‘stains and blemishes’) of false teachers surprise you? Why?
What reasons might Peter cite for his frank assessments? Elaborate.
2. What would you say are some current examples of false teaching in our day?
3. Paul clearly urged the Elders of Ephesus to “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock…be on the alert” (Acts 20 28; 31). Why is it that so many believers and churches fail to do this?
4. What were the three motivations for false teachers found in Scripture? Have you seen examples of each in the lives of any particular false teachers? Expand.
5. Peter stressed that the rebellious and unrighteous are reserved for judgment, while believers will be rescued (vs. 9). Take some time to again thank your Savior for His provision for you.
6. Some Bible teachers claim the Genesis flood was local. What are some evidences that it was indeed a world flood?
7. Rejoice afresh in the truths of John 5:24
8. Bruce encouraged us to pray for (and share the gospel with) those in your world who don’t know Jesus. He listed friends, loved ones, neighbors, co-workers, and fellow students. Think of one person from at least two of the categories and pray for them right now.