On Sunday, November 10, 2019, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “Providence (Esther) – Providential Flip” from Esther 5-7. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. Can you remember a time in your life when you or someone you loved experienced circumstances that felt much like random luck or mere chance? Share some about that time.
2. Bruce said, God, is the Lord of the random, that God’s providence is always on duty. Name some ways that are demonstrated in the story of Esther.
3. What influenced Esther to shift from hesitation to determination? What lessons might there be for you and me today?
4. What is the most courageous thing you’ve ever done? Elaborate.
5. Why is pride such a dangerous attitude to have? How have you witnessed pride creating havoc in someone’s life…or you own?
6. How does the concept of divine providence fall short of the notion of fatalism or determinism? Explain how the theological concept of concurrence sheds light on this issue. Why can these principles be so hard for us to grasp?
7. God is always at work, always in control, always moving in circumstances and events. Even when He seems absent, He’s present. Spend some time in prayer asking God to help you trust Him even when things are difficult and confusing.