On Sunday, October 20, 2019, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “Providence (Esther) – Introduction” from Esther 1:1-3. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. Traveling back in time has been a popular technique in movies over the last 25 years or so. What movie featuring time travel to the past stands out as your favorite and why?
2. Why do so many people tend to view the Old Testament negatively and thus often avoid it?
Name a NT verse that encourages us to learn from the people and events of the Old Testament.
3. Esther is one of two OT books featuring and named after women. What is the other? Esther illustrates God’s ___________________ [fill in the blank] The other book illustrates God’s ____________________ [fill in the blank]
4. Over time there have been those who have had reservations about whether Esther should be part of the canon or not. What are some of the reasons for skepticism?
5. Give your own definition or summary of what God’s “providence” means. What ramification does the principle of God’s providence mean for our everyday life?
6. Pray for an open heart and for the Holy Spirit to give us deeper insight into our great God’s character as we study the Book of Esther in the weeks ahead.