Wildwood Update 5/10/20
Hello Wildwood! We deeply miss seeing you! This COVID-19 situation has physically separated us as a church family for nearly two months now … and we can’t wait to be able to gather together again! As you know, local guidelines are set to loosen this coming weekend making it possible for Wildwood to resume some form of our “in person” gatherings beginning May 17. After much prayer and reflection, the Elders and staff leadership are excited to outline what returning to “in person” services will look like over the next few weeks.
The Livestream will Continue!
Though Wildwood has hosted a livestream since September 2018, the past 2 months have seen this service reach greater and greater numbers of people. We estimate that 2,000+ people have worshipped with us each of the past few Sundays, with about twice that number joining us on Easter Sunday. Literally people from all over the world have gathered with us each Sunday for our stream. Knowing that many will still not be able to join us on Sunday mornings in person going forward (for a variety of reasons), we will continue to offer the Livestream each Sunday, but moving the time to 9:30AM Central Time beginning May 17. This earlier time will be more convenient for many, PLUS the service will be available to join anytime after 9:30AM throughout the rest of the week. This will enable those who worship with us online to continue to do so going forward. As always, our Livestream is available at wildwoodchurch.org/live . If you are a member of a vulnerable population (over 65 years old, have an underlying health condition, or take care of someone in one of those categories), or if there are other factors that make you leery about going to a live event – PLEASE join us on the livestream!
An “In Person” Outdoor Service will be Held at 11:00AM
Beginning May 17, we will host an “in person” outdoor worship service at 11AM in Wildwood’s back parking lot (nearest our Children’s Entrance) at 1501 24th Ave. NE. This service will have the exact same sermon, worship singing, and content as the livestream, but will allow us to gather physically as a congregation. Why are we gathering outside? Well, the physical distancing requirements at this phase of “re-opening,” are still prohibitive enough that we cannot accommodate as many people indoors as outdoors. Additionally, the open air environment prevents some of the sanitation concerns that might be felt indoors at this early stage. We are working on long term plans to enhance the safety and sanitation of our building allowing us to accommodate more folks in a better way indoors should these restrictions continue. In the mean time, we will gather outdoors for an hour of worship beginning May 17! We anticipate being in this outdoor format for the 3 remaining Sundays in May (May 17, 24, 31), and will reevaluate the plan for future phases over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned, and thank you for your flexibility!
What about “In Person” Children’s Ministry, Student Ministry, or Adult Group Programming?
As we gather outdoors starting on May 17, we are sad to say that our Children’s, Student, and Adult classes will not be held “in person” but will remain online. We can’t wait to physically bring these options back as we know that the ministry God does through those groups is greatly significant. Know that we are encouraged by how God is using these ministries online right now, and we are committed to bringing these back “in person” as soon as we can. In the meantime, find resources for how to connect and grow for all age levels at wildwoodchurch.org/athome . Stay tuned for more details!
What to Expect as you gather on May 17 Outside:
- Please bring your own lawn chair or folding chair to sit on.
- We will be set up in a parking lot, so you can lay a blanket down, but know it will be on top of asphalt, and not soft underneath.
- We will post song lyrics for the weekend to our website and our YouVersion Bible app “event.” You can either access them there electronically, or print them before you come.
- Consider showing up 15 minutes early, as it may take a bit longer to get situated.
- Our service will be mostly “touchless:” no bulletins, offering baskets, refreshments, or handshakes from our greeting teams. Our children’s team will have some ziplock bags with activities and things for your kids available for any interested.
- Our restrooms in the Children’s Lobby will be available for use as needed. Doors into the building will be propped open at the children’s entrance to keep people from opening and closing doors unnecessarily if they need to enter to use the restrooms.
- Our water fountains will not be operational at this time, so bring a drink if you need one.
- With outside programming, rain could prove a problem. Check Wildwood’s website on the morning of the event to see if weather is impacting our schedule … or sign up for Wildwood Text Notifications by texting “Wildwood1” to 95577 to get notified of changes.
- In concert with the CDC guidelines, we will:
- Keep 6 feet of physical separation between family groups. Please be respectful of other’s personal space during this season.
- All our staff and volunteers will be wearing a mask when not on stage.
- We strongly encourage you (though not require you) to wear a mask as an expression of your love for others. The primary reason to wear a mask is to protect vulnerable people around you if you would happen to be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus.
- If you are sick or have knowingly come into contact with a COVID-19 positive person in the past 14 days, please stay home and join us for the livestream.
- If you are over 65 years old, are a member of an at risk population, or live with someone in one of those categories, you are encouraged to continue to join us from home via the livestream.
- We will have hand sanitizer available.
How can we help you?
- We would love to pray for you during this time. If you have a prayer request, please go to wildwoodchurch.org/pray and let us know how we can be praying for you!
- You can also use that prayer request online form above to let us know about any needs inside our church family that we might be able to help meet.
Friends, these are extraordinary times, and the emotional, physical, relational, and financial toll is significant. Additionally, there is a lot of uncertainty around the COVID-19 situation that has led people to differing convictions about how to respond. The above plan is not perfect, but it is an attempt to call all of us to worship together (as we are able) in this time and season. The online service will remain a GREAT FIT for those who are either unable or feel it is unwise to gather in groups for worship. The outside service allows us to gather the most people in the safest way. Again, both services will have the same content and we want you to choose the option that best fits your family at this time. We are praying for you, for our city, for our state, for our nation, and for the world at this time of crisis.
As different members of our church come to differing convictions about how best to live in this “new normal,” we would encourage ALL of us to be generous, gracious, and unified with one another. While we may disagree concerning our views on COVID-19, all believers in Jesus are UNIFIED IN HIM! As Jesus prays for us in John 17:20-21, “I do not ask for these [the original 12 disciples] only, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word [us], that they may all be one, just as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You have sent Me.” May this prayer of Jesus ring in our ears and reign over us in our interactions with one another throughout this season!
May we follow Jesus together to the glory of God now and always!
The Elders of Wildwood Community Church
NOTE: This plan is subject to change as new information becomes available.