On Sunday, March 15, 2020, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “Avoiding the Pitfall of Failure” from Matthew 26:30-35; 69-75. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
- Failure is a part of life. What well-known failure pops into your mind when you think of the whole topic of failure?
- We all have personally failed at one time or another. Share about a time when you experienced a failure. Elaborate.
- Why do we commonly fear failure so much?
- What missteps did Peter make that contributed to his personal failure? [we mentioned three]
- Jesus gave a warning to the disciples before they came face-to-face with the potential of failure. Think of some warnings given to us that surface in the New Testament. Elaborate on why you think God has issued such a warning.
- Bruce said, “Pride mushrooms in an environment of comparison.” Expand on what you think that means.
- One principle that surfaces from our passage is the idea, “pray up or trip up.” Review through the suggested core prayers that Bruce listed:
Lead me Romans 8:14, Galatians 5:18
Teach me John 14:26; 16:13
Use me Galatians 5:13; 1 Peter 4:10-11
Strengthen me Ephesians 1:18-20; 3:20
Embolden me Philippians 1:20; Ephesians 6:19
8. “His grace and mercy are greater than our failures.” Take time to give Him thanks!