On Sunday, November 3, 2019, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “Providence (Esther) – Down and Dirty” from Esther 3:1-4:17. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. Think of a time in your life when you faced very difficult circumstances, circumstances that maybe disoriented and overwhelmed you as you faced them. If you are comfortable, share some about that time.
2. In life when we face times where we can feel God seems invisible and disconnected from us, what biblical truths help to counter those feelings?
3. Do you think Mordecai should have just bowed to Haman? Why or why not?
4. List some specific ways that Haman personified Proverbs 6:16-19
5. What aspect of God’s providence stood out the most to you in chapters 3 and 4?
6. Bruce stated that God works through people. Therefore, the job we have, the resources we’ve been given, our gifts and abilities, even our health, are not primarily for ourselves. God has given them to equip us to point people to Christ, to develop others spiritually, and to help meet needs.
What are some ways right now you can better leverage your God-given resources to accomplish those ends?
7. Take some time to pray that God would further train you to recognize, rest in and trust in His sovereign providence in your life.