On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a sermon based on John 12:9-19. This message was the center of our Palm Sunday celebration. Below are questions related to the message for personal reflection or group discussion. You will also find the audio and video of the sermon to listen to/watch, download, or share.
- Read John 12:9-19
- Put yourself back in the shoes of a first century person who lived on the outskirts of Jerusalem. Imagine that you have heard that Jesus was approaching your city. Why would YOU be interested in going out to greet Him?
- Think for a moment about how you perceive Jesus personality. Is He warm and engaging? Aloof and distant? Quiet and serious? Smiling and welcoming? Now compare your picture of Him to one who the “whole world has gone out to meet.” Is there any part of your thoughts about Jesus that needs to be adjusted?
- The people expected Messiah to come and wage war against Rome. Jesus adjusted their expectations by coming on a donkey. Are there ways in which your expectations of Jesus have differed from your experience of Him? In what ways?
- Do you approach your connection to Jesus more like a subject in school, like a client you are defending, or like the One you adore? How does looking at this passage encourage you to look to Jesus as YOUR SAVIOR, as a real PERSON, and not just as a subject in Sunday School or the centerpiece of Bible stories?
- What has Jesus done for you? How does that impact your demeanor as you approach Him?
- What is one particular application you took away from this passage/message?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.
To listen to message offline, click the link:
To listen online, use the media player below:
To watch the service, use YouTube online: