On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a sermon based on Isaiah 11:1-9. This message was part 1 in “The Gift” sermon series. Below you will find questions related to this message for personal reflection or group discussion. You will also see the audio and video of the sermon to listen to/watch, download or share.
- Read Isaiah 11:1-9
- Giving gifts at Christmas time is a part of holiday celebrations in our culture. In what ways do you think this is appropriate?
- In Isaiah 11:1, Jesus is described as the “shoot from Jesse’s stump.” In context, God was promising that even though the nation of Israel looked decimated at the moment Isaiah wrote, something (read SOMEONE) great was still coming! In what ways does the world you are living in right now look like a “stump”? How does remembering that God will be faithful to fulfill His promises encourage you today?
- When Jesus returns to this earth, He will reign in righteousness and faithfulness over the earth … including delivering justice to the poor. How does this instruct you regarding how Christians should relate to people today? How does it give you hope for the future?
- The description of life under the Kingdom rule of Jesus in Isaiah 11:6-9 is quite different from our world today. What area of your world today do you most desire to see transformed by God today?
- What stands out to you most from this passage? Any particular takeaway?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.
To listen to the sermon audio offline, click the link to download:
To listen online, use the media player below:
To watch the service, use YouTube stream online:
This sermon is part of the 2020 Christmas series at Wildwood. We have also prepared a Devotional Book, “The Gift.” Access the entire devotional and download your free copy by clicking here.
Wildwood has put together a list of Christmas songs in a playlist found on Apple Music and Spotify at the following links:
- Apple Music Playlist: Wildwood Community Church Christmas 2020
- Spotify Playlist: Wildwood Community Church Christmas 2020