On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a message based on Philippians 2:1-11. This message was part 1 in the “Attitude of a Servant” sermon series. Below you will find questions related to this message for personal reflection or group discussion. You will also find the sermon audio and video to listen to/watch, download, or share.
- Read Philippians 2:1-11
- What are some of the things/issues that threaten the unity of the church today? What solutions do you see being tried to “fix” this dynamic? How effective are those solutions (from your perspective)?
- In the message, there was a quote from Moises Silva related to this passage which said, “The true obstacle to unity is not the presence of legitimate differences of opinion but self-centeredness. Shifting attention away from ourselves becomes the challenge.” To what degree do you find this position both taught in Philippians 2:1-11 AND believable in light of your experience?
- What are the areas where you struggle the most to be humble? What would it look like for you to live out humility in that setting/area?
- In 2:5-11, we have one of the finest “Christological” statements (i.e. truth about who Jesus really is) found in the New Testament. What stands out to you most about this description of Jesus found here?
- A right understanding of Jesus is NOT just to tickle our minds, but to inspire us to a proper response. How does knowing Jesus influence your willingness to sacrifice for others? How does knowing Jesus influence your willingness to wait for a greater reward?
- What stands out to you most from this passage? Any particular takeaway?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.
To listen to sermon audio offline, click the link:
To listen to sermon audio online, use the media player:
To watch the stream, use YouTube online: