On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a sermon based on James 1:2-8. This message was part 1 in the “Growing Up” series. Below you will find questions related to this message for group discussion or personal reflection. You will also find the sermon audio and video to listen to, download, or share.
- Read James 1:2-8
- How are you viewing the COVID-19 era: as a snow day? blizzard? winter? ice age?
- When this current era is over, what are some of the ways you hope to have grown during this time?
- What are some of the “various trials” you are going through right now? In what ways might God be developing maturity in every area of your life through your experiences in this struggle?
- Do you tend to view trials more as a “loss” or as “tuition”? A loss provides no value, while tuition is paid to learn something or become something new. How does viewing trials as tuition help you have joy in the midst of difficulty?
- What are the kinds of things you typically pray for in the midst of trouble? Is wisdom one of the things you are asking for? Why or why not?
- How do you imagine God responding to your request for wisdom? Is He attentive? Does He hold it against you, thinking you should already know? What does James 1:5-8 tell you about God’s attitude toward you as you pray?
- What stands out to you most from this passage? Any particular takeaway?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.
To listen to the sermon audio offline, click link to download:
To listen to the sermon audio online, use media player:
To watch the sermon video, use YouTube online: