On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a sermon based on Matthew 19:1-12. This message was the fifth part in the “Relating to ______” series and focused on relating to your spouse. Below are a set of questions connected to the message for personal reflection or group discussion.
- Read Matthew 19:1-12
- If you are married (or have watched closely the marriages of others) what kinds of challenges have you observed about married life?
- The Pharisees want to talk to Jesus about divorce, but mostly Jesus talks to them about marriage. What does this tell you about Jesus’ perspective on marriage and divorce?
- Jesus talks of husbands and wives being “one.” What do you think He means by this, and what are the implications of this idea?
- What are some of the reasons people state for getting divorced today? How does that connect with what Jesus says in Matthew 19 (and what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7)?
- If you are single (either never married or divorced/widowed and not yet remarried) how do Jesus’ words in 19:10-12 personally effect you?
- What is one particular application you took away from this message?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.