On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a sermon based on Psalm 98 and the song “Joy to the World”. This message was part 1 in “The Christmas Carols” series. Below are a set of questions related to this message for further reflection or group discussion.
- Read Psalm 98
- In your opinion, when is it too early to begin to celebrate Christmas?
- “Joy to the World” was written by Isaac Watts and is based on Psalm 98. This Psalm (and Watts song) reflect on the past, present, and future of God’s people. Take a moment to list out some of the things people can learn about God regardless of where they live in the world.
- Why do you think we are commanded to sing to the Lord concerning His salvation with our voices and with instruments, etc. In other words, what do these elements ADD to our experience of relating to God?
- What are some ways you can “fill your home with the songs of the Lord” this Christmas?
- What are some evidences you see in the world today of the “curse” mentioned in Genesis 3 and “Joy to the World’s” third verse?
- What are you looking forward to most about the return of Jesus to the earth one day?
- What is one particular application you took away from this message?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.