On Sunday, September 23, 2018, I preached a message at Wildwood Community Church on the mission of the church. This message was the second Sunday of our 5oth anniversary celebration. Below are a set of questions related to the message for personal reflection or group discussion.
- What value have you seen in understanding the “mission statement” of an organization (any organization you have been a part of)? What are the potential challenges with organizations that do not know their core mission?
- The Church is led by Jesus Christ. What are some of the verses you can think of in the Bible that help us to understand the mission of the Church?
- 87 times in the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), the word “Follow” is used in conjunction with people’s response to Jesus . . . 26 times as a command – Jesus saying “Follow Me.” Why do you think this was the most common descriptor of the first Christians?
- What would it look like for a church (and Christians) to be more concerned with God’s glory than their own?
- 5 ways were mentioned today of how we can follow Jesus: Following Him into His Word, Worship, Community, Ministry, and Mission. Think of your own life for a moment in light of these 5 areas. How has God used these 5 things to grow your faith in the past? Is there any particular area where you would like to grow more this year?
- What is one particular application you took away from this message?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.