On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a sermon based on Matthew 5:17-48. This message was part 5 of the “Sermon on the Mount” series. Below are a set of questions for personal reflection or group discussion related to the message.
- Read Matthew 5:17-48
- How has the pain of divorce impacted your life? How does Jesus’ teaching on divorce encourage/discourage you?
- Where are you currently being tempted to exact personal revenge for a past hurt? How does Jesus’ teaching in 5:38-42 challenge you?
- Who is someone who feels “unloveable” to you? How can you begin to love them through prayer this week?
- React to John Stott’s comments on this section of the Sermon on the Mount – “Only a belief in the necessity and the possibility of a new birth can keep us from reading the Sermon on the Mount with either foolish optimism or hopeless despair.”
- What is one particular application you took away from this passage/message?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.