On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a message on Matthew 5:17-48. This message was part 4 in the “Sermon on the Mount” series. Below are a set of questions related to the message for further reflection or group discussion.
- Read Matthew 5:17-48
- What are some human traditions or cultural ideas that have obscured God’s clear teaching on moral issues today?
- Jesus clarified God’s righteous standard on 3 issues we looked at in today’s message: murder (5:21-26), adultery (5:27-30), and lying (5:33-37). Though this sermon is 2000 years old, it still is amazingly relevant in today’s world. How does Jesus clarify God’s standards in these three areas? How does Jesus definition run counter to TODAY’S common understanding of what is appropriate in each of these three areas?
- How significant does Jesus think violating God’s standard in these three areas is? How can you tell from the text (look at 5:22, 29, 37)?
- Pick one of these three areas that you feel is an area of particular struggle for you right now. How do you react to Jesus’ call in that area? What do you need to do or stop doing to follow Christ in all areas of your life?
- Have you trusted in Christ for the forgiveness of your sins? How does being reminded of God’s deep standards encourage you to lean into Christ even more?
- What is one particular application you took away from this passage/message?
To access these questions in pdf format, click here.