On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at Wildwood Community Church, I preached a message based on Romans 7:1-6. This message was part 1 in the “Spiritual Life” series. Below are a set of questions related to this message for personal reflection or group discussion.
Sermon Discussion Questions:
- Read Romans 7:1-6
- What makes the Christian life different from all other religious systems? (NOTE: Don’t think only of a Christian’s understanding of salvation . . . think about the nature of the life we live out compared to the life people from other religion’s live out.)
- In this letter, humanity is pictured as “married to the law.” What do you think that means? (NOTE: For help here, look back at what Paul has said about the Law in the first 6 chapters of Romans – 3:19, 20; 4:15, 5:20.)
- In Christ, however, humanity has a chance to “die with Jesus” and “be raised with Jesus.” By having our identity die and resurrect again in Christ, we are freed up from being bound to the Law. Instead, we can belong to another . . . namely Jesus Christ! Belonging to Jesus changes our identity. What does it mean for you to “belong to Christ?”
- Jesus has given us new life so that we might bear fruit for Him. God does not want to merely save us, He is committed to transforming us and bringing us into holiness! What are some of the current renovation/fruit bearing projects God is working on in your life right now?
- How does the presence of the Holy Spirit impact your daily Christian life?
- What stood out to you most from this message/passage?
To download a copy of these questions in pdf format, click here.