On Sunday, August 2, 2015 I preached a message at Wildwood Community Church that was based on 1 Peter 5:1-5. This message was part 9 in the “True Grace” series. Below are a set of questions for personal reflection or group discussion related to this sermon.
- Read 1 Peter 5:1-5
- I opened this message by saying that good leadership is especially important when times are tough. Can you think of any examples from history or from your life where this principle holds true?
- In a world where Christians are being persecuted, part of the grace Jesus gives to His church is through humble human leaders. In what way have you seen humble leaders be a blessing to churches you have been a part of ?
- In 5:1-4, we see several things about elders in local churches. One thing we see is that there is a plurality of elders (i.e. the church is not led simply by one person). What is the value of a multiplicity of leaders who are “among” the people they lead?
- The main job of an elder is to shepherd (or Pastor) through providing oversight. What do you think this practically means?
- Peter also gives a set of admonishments of what leaders are to do and not do. Specifically, he warns Elders from being reluctant, greedy, lazy, or domineering. Any leadership in a church that looks this way is NOT what Jesus prescribed. If you are in leadership in any ministry, how can you apply these verses to your life today?
- Jesus is also shown as the rewarder of the Elders of the church . . . ultimately at His second coming. John Calvin rightly said, “To prevent the faithful servant of Christ from being cast down, there is this one and only remedy, to turn his eyes to the coming of Christ.” In what way does waiting on Jesus to reward you free you up to serve today (regardless of circumstances)?
- Humility is not just something for church leaders, but something that both leaders and members must aspire to. I made the statement in this message that the best test of humility is shown NOT when you act like a servant, but when you are treated like one. In what way do you think humility shows forth when you are mistreated or under-appreciated?
- What are the main takeaways you had from today’s message?
To access the entire “True Grace” study, click here.