On April 5, 2015 (Easter Sunday), I preached a message out of John 20:11-18 entitled “Whom Do You Seek?” Below you will find a series of questions for further reflection on group discussion based on this message.
Sermon Discussion Questions:
- Read John 20:11-18
- This section of the Gospel of John highlights Mary Magdalene’s encounter with Jesus just outside the garden tomb early on Easter morning. Based on what you heard this morning and your knowledge of the New Testament, who was Mary Magdalene?
- In what ways does Mary show her love for Jesus through her actions in John 20:11-18?
- If someone were to observe your life, would they be able to tell your love for Jesus? How does a love for Jesus translate into the lives of people today?
- Mary is so blinded in her grief that she fails to see the obvious (to us) signs that Jesus is risen! Has there ever been a time in your life where grief blinded you to seeing the goodness of God?
- Jesus obviously loved Mary. What can you see from this passage to help confirm to you Jesus’ love for her?
- Jesus’ resurrection is the focal point of this passage. What does the resurrection of Jesus mean to you?
- Jesus asks Mary the question, “Whom are you seeking?” What do you think He meant by that question?
- What evidence do you have that Jesus loves YOU?
- What difference does it make that Jesus is alive?
- Have you ever placed your faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins? If so, when? If not, why not?
- What stood out to you most from this passage? Any particular applications you will take away from this passage/message?