On Sunday, July 28, 2019, Teaching Pastor Bruce Hess’ message is “CORE Truth: We Live by Faith!” from Hebrews 11. Below are some questions for your personal or group reflection.
1. God works mysteriously. Remember the different life outcomes of Jim Elliot and his brother Bert? Reflect for a moment on how God has worked differently in your life compared to others. What insight do we gain from those differences?
2. God speaks these words to Isaiah in Isaiah 55:8-9:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
How does that divine perspective give us insight into why it is necessary for us to live by faith?
3. Bruce stated that the verb “believe” (pisteuo in the original text) includes what concepts/ideas? In other words, what does it really mean to believe?
4. It is so very easy and natural to keep on our focus on circumstances and life in this world. What can help us to better focus on our heavenly country, our eternal inheritance?
5. Hebrews 4:16 clearly emphasizes that we should approach our High Priest and the Throne of Grace boldly, with deep confidence. Why is it that we are seemingly so slow to pray?
6. Review Romans 8:11. Do we really believe what it says? That the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead will energize us since He dwells in us? What keeps us from experiencing the Spirit’s power in our life?
7. If you have listened to all four parts of the Core Truth series, what spiritual lesson has stood out most to you?
8. Take some time to worship the Lord and thank Him for His greatness, His wisdom, His strength and His grace.